At Grand Rapids Community Media Center (CMC) the WYCE Station Manager role requires a collaborative, innovative and energetic individual in leading our 10,000-watt community radio station serving West Michigan. WYCE is a listener supported, volunteer programmed, independent radio station offering an eclectic music format, and also serving the local nonprofit community.
In addition to being a welcoming and engaging leader at CMC’s radio station WYCE, 88.1 FM, the Station Manager will need an ability to initiate innovative collaborations, as well as the business skills to ensure fiscal stability for the preservation of this community resource. The successful WYCE Station Manager possesses a passion for working collaboratively within this community as well as perform as a genuine and engaged team member with leaders in CMC’s other media program platforms. Strong leadership skills are critical for success.
- Oversee and shape all station programming and operations, including financial wellbeing, and legal and technical compliance and health, for 10,000-watt non-commercial radio station
- Manage and oversee the training of radio station staff, as well as develop training tools and maximize effective engagement and empowerment a team of more than 100 on-air volunteers
- Serve as a public outreach agent of CMC’s community radio station WYCE
- Lead staff and volunteers in maintaining and growing community visibility and support through programming, special events and promotions (including on air, web, print and station activities), and integrate new technology and media applications into radio station services
- Help establish and oversee finances for radio station operations, to fulfill station goals
- Help initiate, design and implement fund development strategies (underwriting, fund drives, major gifts, project grants), in coordination with fund development staff, radio station staff and volunteers
- Oversee all radio station underwriting by creating partnerships with local organizations
- Engage the station programming in collaborative activities with Grand Rapids area community organizations, the music community and other CMC departments
- Develop and implement strategies for integrating new technology and media applications, as well as direct and monitor technical operations, including maintenance of equipment and facilities
- Ensure legal compliance in all station operations matters, such as FCC regulations, simulcast/broadcast regulations, copyright and licensing issues
- Actively participate in defining short-term and long-term goals, policies and procedures
- Active participation with the overall CMC management team
Beneficial Skills/Experience for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships
- Experience and connections in working with varied organizations and communities
- Experience in management of radio station operations, and leading a staff team
- Passion for grassroots, community-based endeavors
- Excellent writing, public speaking and interpersonal skills
- Sufficient technical knowledge to oversee operational broadcast needs
- Ability to understand and ensure necessary regulatory compliances
This is a fulltime position, and reports to the executive director. Competitive sector compensation, salary DOQ. Health, dental, vacation benefits.
GRCMC provides equal opportunity to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, physical or mental disability, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected status.
Interested parties should submit a resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “WYCE Station Manager” in the subject line, or mail to 711 Bridge St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504.