Location: Grand Rapids, MI Status: Full Time
Department: WYCE Salary: $40,000 – 45,000
Reports to: WYCE Station Manager Hours: 40 hours per week
About us: Grand Rapids Community Media Center (GRCMC) is a nonprofit media organization, dedicated to building community through media providing avenues for self-expression, uniting diverse points of views. GRCMC programing includes public-access television stations GRTV and LiveWire, community radio station 88.1FM WYCE, community venue Wealthy Theatre, Web Development Services for nonprofits, and the local online news platform The Rapidian.
About the role: WYCE’s Music & Programming Manager works under the supervision of the WYCE station manager to create, schedule, and maintain programming that fits WYCE’s sound and mission.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Required reporting to JBE, Sound Exchange, BMI, Mediabase
- Review and process submitted music to be added to the WYCE Library, making sure all music is FCC compliant (document number/genres of weekly additions)
- Solicit local music and national/regional titles
- Seek out artists/bands that fit WYCE’s format and mission (document contacts and contracts)
- Develop in-studio sessions and interview content for WYCE and GRTV with local, regional, and national artists; provide these interview opportunities to the volunteer programmers In conjunction with the GRCMC Communications Plan, work under the direction of the WYCE Station Manager on social media and promotions of music, artists, community, and in-house content
- Communicate regularly with music labels and radio promoters on artist marketing and promotion initiatives, track and report weekly radio charts to music industry trade groups
- Attend and host local music events to effectively represent the station
- Provide training for On-Air Volunteer Programmers, ensuring FCC and WYCE Handbook compliance
- Arrange and facilitate in-studio and virtual performances and interviews for WYCE and GRTV content, secure volunteer hosts
- Provide Fund Drive support to the Station Manager; training volunteers for their shifts on-air and on the phone during fund drives
- Secure monthly donor gifts such as concert tickets, vinyl, digital downloads, and other perks to show donor appreciation
- Book live music events for which WYCE is a title sponsor and presenter, including GRLIVE, GRAM On the Green, Annual WYCE Jammie Awards, and other special projects
- Create contests, promotions, giveaways and other projects that can give WYCE publicity
- Book local events at Wealthy Theatre periodically, when instructedProvide a platform that ensures diversity, inclusivity, and equitable opportunities for programmers, artists, WYCE listeners, Grand Rapids community members, and area nonprofits
- Hold quarterly training session to create opportunities for volunteers to excel, focused on programming, effective fund drive skills, conducting on-air interviews, technical training
- Ability to step in as an on-air programmer when needed
GRCMC provides equal opportunity to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, physical or mental disability, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected status.
Interested parties should submit a resume, and cover letter to:
email@example.com with “WYCE Music & Programming Director” in the subject line,
or mail to 711 Bridge St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504.
Resumes will be accepted until 2/21/23 at 5:00 pm