Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan Status: Full Time
Department: Administration Salary: Negotiable
The Executive Director of the Community Media Center (CMC) is responsible for all departments of a multiplatform media non-profit organization: GRTV (a public access television station); WYCE 88.1 FM (a community radio station); the Wealthy Theatre (a historic performing arts and community center); The Rapidian (a hyper-local electronic news source); and an IT and Media Services Center that helps local non-profit organization and community members.
This professional will ensure that all departments work individually and together in a collaborative fashion to fulfill the mission of the CMC to “build community through media.” The director will also build diverse partnerships throughout the area (civic, non-profit, education, corporate, arts and culture) to enhance the breadth and strength of the CMC’s impact on the Grand Rapids community.
Reports to: The Board of Directors of the CMC.
- Use an innovative and empowering leadership style to ensure strong internal and cross-departmental relationships.
- Recruit, orient, supervise, mentor, train, support, and evaluate a strong team of dedicated CMC professionals who believe in and support the mission of the organization.
- Build a team that displays professional excellence and creativity, one that is known for inter-staff support and collaborative spirit.
- Support and assist the CMC Board of Directors in its work to oversee, govern, and promote the work of the organization.
- Develop creative strategies to provide consistent and timely appreciation to the many volunteers who contribute the CMC’s success.
- Represent the CMC in the community, building partnerships and connections that enhance the organization’s mission.
- Effectively manage an organizational structure that ensures the success of each CMC division and allows the CMC to thrive.
- Hire and mentor division leaders that are committed to the CMC’s mission and purpose.
- Transparently manage a budget that supplies each division with the people and resources necessary to reach divisional and organizational annual objectives.
- In partnership with the Board of Directors, establish a management and review system that is clear, fair, and allows for all employees to feel heard and valued.
- Develop an annual and longer-term strategic plan alongside of the Board of Directors that involves staff leadership and appropriate community partners.
- Seek out and secure funding sources, private and public, that ensure the health and stability of the organization.
- Provide leadership in the public dialogue about technology, media, and community building.
- Stay informed on media and technology trends and assess applicability for the organization and its programs.
- Represent the organization at local, state, and national events that support the mission of the CMC.
- Advocate with elected officials, community leaders, and others for democracy through speech, technology, media, and inclusive strategies that allow for equal access to resources and communication tools.
*Master’s degree or equivalent experience in non-profit, educational, or corporate management
*Demonstrated leadership (minimum 5 years) in a management position, including significant supervisory roles, budgetary responsibility, and positive public relations experience *Exceptional communication skills, written, presentations, and public speaking
*Values that demonstrate community interest, transparency, collaboration, and a history of commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
*Supervisory experience that demonstrates an ability to effectively hire, train, mentor, and evaluate employees
*Demonstrated experience and success in fund development
*Experience working with a governing board, with specific examples of success
*Display a grateful and open-hearted attitude toward staff, volunteers, community partners, and the public
Required for search process
*Current resume that appropriately addresses this position
*A cover letter that discusses why the candidate is interested in and is qualified for the position
*Three references listed (will not be contacted unless considered a finalist for the position and prior notification will be given to the candidate): one a supervisor; one a person whom the candidate supervised; one a professional reference (not related to the candidate)
GRCMC provides equal opportunity to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, physical or mental disability, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected status.
Interested parties should submit a resume and cover letter to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Director” in the subject line, or mail to 711 Bridge St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504.