Grand Rapids Community Media Center (CMC) is looking for a full-time web developer to join our team immediately. Community Media Center is a Grand Rapids-based nonprofit organization that provides media and technology access and assistance to the people and nonprofits of our community. GRCMC began as our city’s public access television channel nearly 40 years ago and has evolved into a multi-platform communications access organization that includes such community assets as 88.1FM WYCE, Wealthy Theatre, and online news platform The Rapidian. In addition to supporting internal departments, the GRCMC Web Development team builds affordable and modern websites for nonprofit organizations in our region.
CMC is a small but growing team that works with over 40 great local nonprofit organizations. We work exclusively with nonprofit organizations, so having a heart for community-minded work is essential.
As a member of our development team, you will be working closely alongside our talented frontend and backend developers, key staff in CMC’s various media and support departments, and sometimes directly with representatives of our wonderful clients. Depending on the skill and experience of candidates, leadership and oversight within the department is also a possibility.
Our development stack is Laravel and VueJS. You don’t necessarily need to know Laravel or VueJS to join our team, but experience with it or other modern frameworks is a huge plus.
Projects you could work on:
Because we are a small and nimble team, CMC’s web developers are often working on several projects at once. It never gets boring! These types of projects can include:
• A comprehensive and robust custom content management system
• Equipment / library checkout systems
• Nonprofit service databases
• Facility reservation systems
• Bill pay / donation / ecommerce components
• A truly innovative on-air radio station management system
• Integrations with external APIs, such as audio and video services, fundraising services, and constituent relationship management systems
• Experience in a PHP framework such as Laravel.
• Experience working with a database, like MySQL
• Experience with AWS hosting system a plus
• A strong desire to learn on the job and keep up with the latest technologies
• Systems networking knowledge and experience is a plus
• A creative work environment that will keep you on your toes and help expand your skills as a programmer
• An excellent team excited to help you produce the best work of your career.
• Remote-friendly working environment
• Flexible hours
• Flexible paid vacation policy
• Opportunities to get involved in other parts of Community Media Center, including 88.1FM WYCE, Wealthy Theatre and GRTV (Learn how to make your own radio or TV show!)
• This is a fulltime position with benefits. Nonprofit level pay: DOQ.
If interested, please submit resume, cover letter and work example packets to CMC, at email@example.com. Examples of real world work are greatly appreciated. We are particularly interested in learning about your experience working on team projects. If you have worked on a team project, let us know your areas of responsibility.
Grand Rapids Community Media Center is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, and local law.