Grand Rapids Community Media Center (CMC) is seeking a collaborative, innovative and energetic individual to serve as Station Manager for WYCE, 88.1 FM – a 10,000 watt community radio station serving West Michigan. WYCE is a listener supported, volunteer programmed, independent radio station offering an eclectic music format, and also serving the local nonprofit community.
WYCE is part of CMC, a nonprofit media organization which includes public-access television stations GRTV and LiveWire, the historic venue Wealthy Theatre, the local online news platform The Rapidian, and IT Services for nonprofits.
In addition to being a welcoming and engaging leader at CMC’s radio station WYCE, 88.1 FM, the station manager will need an ability to initiate innovative collaborations, as well as the business skills to ensure fiscal stability for the preservations of this community resource. The successful Radio Station Manager candidate will possess a passion for working collaboratively within this community as well as perform as a genuine and engaged team member with leaders in CMC’s other media program platforms.
- Oversee and shape all station programming and operations, including financial, legal and technical, for 10,000 watt non-commercial radio station
- Manage and train radio station staff, as well as develop training tools and maximize effective engagement and use of a team of more than 100 volunteer programmers
- Maintain and grow community visibility and support through programming, special events and promotions (including on air, web, print and station activities), and integrate new technology and media applications into radio station services
- Serve as a public outreach agent of CMC’s WYCE
- Help establish and oversee financial budget and accounting for radio station operations
- Help initiate, design and implement fund development strategies (underwriting, fund drives, major gifts, project grants), in coordination with fund development staff, radio station staff and volunteers
- Oversee all radio station underwriting by creating partnerships with local organizations and businesses, manage finances and invoicing, etc., to fulfill station goals
- Engage the station programming in collaborative activities with other CMC departments, and Grand Rapids area community organizations
- Direct and monitor technical operations, including maintenance of equipment and facilities
- Ensure legal compliance in all station operations matters, such as FCC regulations, simulcast/broadcast regulations, copyright and licensing issues
- Active participation with the overall CMC management team
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships
- Experience and connections in working with varied organizations and communities
- Experience in management of radio station operations, and leading a staff team
- Passion for grass-roots, community-based endeavors
- Excellent writing, public speaking and interpersonal skills
- Sufficient technical knowledge to oversee operational broadcast needs
- Ability to understand and insure necessary regulatory compliances
This is a fulltime position. Salary DOQ. Health, dental, vacation benefits.
Interested parties should submit resumes with cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org with “WYCE Station Manager” in the subject line, or mail to 711 Bridge St. NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504.